Opposite St Nicholas’ Church, on the other side of the street, is the original 16th-century Masons’ Guild Hall. On top of the stepped gable, six dancers turn merrily with the wind. Beneath the building, which is the property of the province of East Flanders and the East Flanders Tourist Office, is a 13th-century cellar.
The original Masons’ Guild Hall, indeed. Because there is also an exact copy on the Graslei. This was rebuilt for the World Exhibition in 1913 using the original plans. As it happens, the original had disappeared behind some ugly walls and had then been… forgotten. Until it was rediscovered during renovation work in 1976.